22496321_1872040352826029_4531266816646365598_o.jpg

 

The History of Pop’s

Pop’s Clubhouse 2830-32 24th Street

 

It was first thought that Pops was opened in 1947 by World War II gunner Jack O’Connor returning home from the South Pacific. The story was that his father helped him open the bar, hence the name Pop’s. This date was eventually proved wrong by the finding of a published photograph from the SF historical center dated March, 27th 1941. However very little was known about Pops prior to 1947 until one day, the grand–son (Brian Saxsenmier) of the original owner came in and told us that his Grandfather AKA POPS was the real POPS.  Through a records search this story was proved correct, however the actual start date still remains in question and has not been proven

 

 

Prior to 1937

 

Rumor has it that Pops ran the Clubhouse, during Prohibition where alcohol was served but the exact date can’t be confirmed. However we do have confirmation of him as a bootlegger

 

1937-1941

Carl Joseph Saxsenmeier AKA: POPS

 

1941-1947

POPS sold to Jack Pryal

 

1947-1951

 Jerry (POPS) & Jack (Son) O’Connor,

Got married sold the bar. Got divorced opened up the New Hearth on Geary “High Balls and High Times.” He was married five times and liked to gamble.

 

 

1951-1957

 Charlie Leahy

Sold the bar when he married the daughter of the owners of St. Francis Fountian.

1958-67  

 Buff “Red” Volkmeir , Walt Brennan (Grand-Uncle of California Governor Gavin Newson) & Albert Beurgelson

1967-82

Bob & Connie Griffin & Jacqueline Griffin

1971 moved to 2800 24th

 

1982-1985

The Castillo Family

 

1985- 1994

Bradlee J Fitzgerald

Changed the name to Pop’s Bar

 

1994-2003

 Frances Prieto

 

2003-2014

 Malia Spanyol & Harmony Urmston

 

2014- Michael Spike Krouse & Tom Tierney